Tuesday, August 7, 2012

a weekend at the cabin.

We have some wonderfully generous friends... they invite us every year to their cabin in Hayward, WI, and every year we have a grand time! Jared wasn't able to make it this year as he was camping with the guys, but I sure did have a fabulous time.


Sometimes we do "lake things" like tubing, boarding, skiing, etc... but this year I think all of us were feeling more laid back, so we spent our time on the tubes, and in the pontoon. We took sunset cruises, tours of the lake, threw tennis balls off the dock for the dogs, (watched some Olympics in the evening when we were sunned out), and spent time with a family that I absolutely adore.


I suprised Molly at the last minute by showing up - initially it was just my parents going, and she was more than suprised. These girls are a huge part of my life - they are my sisters... and I couldn't love them more! Laura wasn't up at the cabin... :( but I got to spend great time with the rest of them.


I know I've said this about them in posts before... but they are getting so old so fast. I remember holding the twins in the hospital, and spending time with the three girls in the summers, working on homework during schooltime, and dancing to our favorite songs in the car.


*homeade gingerale - an amazing recipie if you like pure ginger... I do. :)

We had some great dinners, corn on the grill, and some lovely evening swings... they have a massive tree overlooking the lake, and swing thats every bit as massive as the tree.



Molls loves to swing. :) She's such a joyful spirit it's contagious.


A beautiful sunset over Moose Lake:




We did family things for the rest of the weekend, and it was a good time of rest. July was a very busy month, marked by a lot of "good" busy, as well as a fair amount of "not good" busy. My work took a toll on me mentally, and with being gone so much there wasn't a lot of time to just clear our heads and rest. Even though we were apart this weekend, I think both of us got some of that time.


It's always going to be a challenge - for the rest of our life, I think - to make sure we are carving out time for rest and rejuvination. As much as we anticipate summer to be just that, 99% of the time it becomes the most hectic as we try to cram in as much as possible with getaways, family, vacations, outdoors, etc. The list goes on as we are all aware. So we took a breath this week and past weekend, and are really trying to wind down heading into this fall. (Gulp). I laugh at that even as I type it, because of our specific situation, but in all seriousness, we are really needing to try. It's going to be a different, and busier fall season for both Jared and I, but I guess that's why we start praying over it now. :)

I hope everyone had fabulous July's, and found some time to carve out for rest. Cabins are a great place to go if you're lookin' for some of that. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment