Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Royal Morning

It was 4:30 am... we were in our jammies, wearing hats, eating scones and drinking tea. There were British flags, magazines on the Royal history, blankets, pillows, and enough feminine enthusiasm about this wedding to think we were actually in England! Close enough. When you spend the Royal wedding with a true British family you feel like the real deal! And I thought traditional English dinners with the Squires were fun!


We piled around the televison - my mom and I, and our best friends Alison and her mom Carolyn (our British hosts), as well as some neighbors and friends. Now, I don't really keep up with celebrities, let alone the royals, but something about this totally intrigued me. I think it was the fact that Kate came from a completely normal British family. Just picturing what her family was thinking boggled my mind. "Oh, there's the Queen... no biggie, it's just my daughter's Grandmother now..." I was rapt. A mulit-million dollar wedding. $82 grand spent on just the trees to put in the church. (Maybe she always wanted an outdoor wedding? Not like the Queen would let that fly.) But somehow, she kept it Grace Kelly chic, simple, classy, and refreshingly different from what I think we were all expecting. (Flashback to Di's wedding dress). It was difficult to even pull myself away from the TV to get at Carolyn's delish spread of food! Don't worry, I managed...

*note: it was 4:30. Excuse all the blurriness, off-centerdness, and greasy hair. :)



We toasted to the newlyweds, continued to gush over how beautiful Kate was, and how Will used to be SO much more attractive with a full head of hair. We picked Carolyn's brain on everything to do with Royal customs, traditions, and who's who.... and I actually really enjoyed it! I didn't realize how intersting that whole family system is. I was so intrigued with finding out lineage, and proper sequence of the crown, all about Queen Elizabeth's family history, what the Brit's really think of Prince Charles, and finding out about the Queen's husband (yah, didn't even know he was still around) and how even though he is the King of England, he holds no real power because it was her blood line and therefore she rules. Weird. How'd you like to be the King of England... but not. I'm finding that I'm much more curious and interested in this family. Having an "inside source" to get the ball rolling helps.  I think I'll be doing some reading.






I totally drank this morning in. My mom was telling my how she still vividly remembers getting up eartly to watch Charles and Di's wedding, and what a fun memory that was. I'm so glad I defied sleep to catch this. Even though it's not my country, it was really moving, and just plain cool, to be apart of British history (along with 2 billion other people I guess). :) To Will & Kate!

2 comments:

  1. SUCH a fun morning!!! Glad you guys could be there!
    (oh and the queen's husband isn't even a king at all, just known as Prince Philip! Sooo weird huh?)

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were with us to join in the celebration, Skyler! It was a very fun and memorable morning! Actually, Queen Elizabeth is married to Prince Phillip. He is not the king. Queen Elizabeth's and Prince Phillip's son, Prince Charles will one day be king, once his mother, Queen Elizabeth steps aside or dies. After King Charles steps aside or dies, then our newlyweds, William and Catherine will be King and Queen.
    Wonderful that you were with us to share in such a special event! with love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete