Thursday, September 6, 2012

the state fair {the not-so-condensed version}

So, at the risk of scaring all my friends away - I'm not going to divulge the full course of our annual state fair experience. I still want people to like me after this. :) Being in West Virginia last year, I only could dream about my friends eating the fried pickles. OH, the friend pickles. I might have had a "poor me" fest at some point that resulted in begging my mom to tell me everything she had to eat. And then groaning over my "loss." I'm such a freak when it comes to the fair.


Round 1 was spent with our wonderful, amazing, ever-so-special friends the Graff's. You remember them by now.



Per usual, we toured the barns, people watched, and generally planned our day around where we wanted to eat next. Mike & Kait are such troopers to put up with us {although it's become general knowledge now that they are said State Fair freaks as well. Welcome to the club. We're a special breed.}


*Someday, Ryland, we will introduce you to the wonderful-ness of fair food. For now, you just keep chompin' on that pig hat.




There are a few {thats a nice word for a crazy amount of} things that are must see's/must eat on our fair list. I'll spare you the details, but we tried a few new ones this year! Will I be returning for all of them next year? No. But a few of them made "the list." Dole Whip was one of them - a pineapple sherbert float. That's pineapple sherbert drenched in pineapple juice. Talk about refreshing. The Red Velvet funnel cake - super rich, super sweet, super delish. Fried Oreos - Split worthy, and for someone who's addicted to Oreos, totally worth it. Deep fried cookie dough - never again. Baja Fish tacos - amazing. A little leery to try seafood at the fair, but oooohhh. Fish tacos are one of my absolute favorite foods.


And those were just the new things I tried. Gulp.... you still with me? I cannot in good conscience, or for my own pride's sake tell you the rest of what we ate. Quite honestly, I'm not proud of it, but hey, it's one day a year, and this whole fair thing has been a huge part of my growing up and adult life. So.... an intentional meeting up with the person who my memories of the fair are with... now that just made sense.


This makes my heart so happy... :) That be "our" strawberries 'n cream right there! Greta - our fair memories are beyond priceless, girl.


*Let's take a moment to acknowledge how great my father looks. Nice stash, dad.

So round 1 of the fair was coming to an end... yes, I said round 1. Round 2, we met up with our parents! And again, wanted to hit the buildings we hadn't made, the food I either didn't get to, {or wanted another round of  - ahem - fried pickles} or just feel the fair-vibe all over again.



We found some more friends - Hi Matt + Amber + Chloe!


We checked out the Luminarium - one of the new exhibits this year - and I thought it was pretty cool! It's a blow up walk through exhibit lit by natural light with colored filters. It's supposed to be a peaceful experience, and aside from the weird spa music playing inside, it was!



That aside, the Jared and his dad waited in line to meet Jack Morris and get a signed ball! {Pitcher for the Twins - big role in winning the world series}.




Oh dear, so many pictures. :) We had a marvelous time on our two fair visits this year. It definitely made up for not being around there last year! We enjoy every ounce of the fair experience - the busyness and people included! Call me crazy, I'm a fair junkie....

Thanks for putting up with me & my ranting.... :) I know the fair isn't for everyone, so take it or leave it. :) If you're a fair goer, I hope you had just as fun of an experience as we did this year! Happy end of summer!

3 comments:

  1. thank you skyler so much for sharing your fair experience in further detail. i loved it. probably because it has been a sad 3 years since i have been. i miss it every time the month of august rolls around & hope that someday i will be back for the best days of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post! I have yet to write my fair post because I was scared I would scare people away too. I am a fair junky as well and went three times this year. I love that I now know of a fellow fair junky because I think everyone else thinks I'm crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want you to know that it took me like 20 times to try and get this comment posted because of the security thing haha!

      Delete