Wednesday, August 20, 2014

our hawaii adventure // oahu

Exploring Hawaii was never something that Jared or I thought we would experience until much later in life. :) This opportunity to travel with such great friends, to such an exotic place, and do so many fun things blew my mind. I have never seen so much beauty, and quite honestly, I feel like my whole "tropical vacation"  bar is unfortunately very high as a result. 



The first two days of our trip we spent around the island of Oahu. Jared and I got in a little later than everyone else, and the aloha welcome we received was just a picture into the joy and excitement of this trip... we were finally here, and ready to conquer Hawaii!!


*thank you Pete, for the adorable picture!*

We all stayed at the Hilton right on Waikiki - although ironically we never made it to Waikiki beach - too many other amazing things to see! The nighttime view was extraordinary too!


*picture courtesy of Amanda Kramer

Up early the next morning (thank you, jet lag!) we did a few of the most popular hikes on the island, and then took our sweet time driving up the east coast side of the island on our way to the north shore. 

Diamond Head.









Koko head.



*Koko Head photos courtesy of Amanda Kramer*


Beaching.




I loved the east and north side of Oahu. We found some amazing beaches on our drive. Especially this little cove that was nestled down, completely out of view of the road. Amanda introduced me to a love for swimming holes, and this one was a fun, first cove! Actually named Cockroach Cove  -  I tried not to think to much on it's nickname, but instead referred to it by its proper name - Halona Beach Cove. A hidden little gem! 








.... just some horsing around before we continued up the coast, where we caught our first glimpse of a sea turtle! My joy could hardly be contained! I loved them. Loved loved loved all the sea turtles.





There was a *slightly over-vigorous* save-the-sea-turtles volunteer watching this big guy, making sure no one got too close to disturb him, but thankfully Jared and the trusty go-pro squeaked in a little closer action when her back was turned...*gasp*... so you can see a little more accurately how big they actually were!!



We spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the views of the north shore. The waves were impressive, even in low season, and you definitely got the surfer vibe around town. We enjoyed the beaches, and with it being our first full day of vacation, were able to begin the winding down process. We eventually made our way back to the southern side of the island for our evening plans - a luau! 









And yes, that's my husband up there in a coconut bra. Not sure the blog world is ready for the video yet.... ;) 



1. that pig was maybe the best meat I've ever eaten
2. seriously. he's in a coconut bra..... :)



We learned how to dance the hukilau, we ate too much, we listened to the waves and the ukulele, watched fire dancers tribute the setting sun, and we really started to rest. I actually had a "moment" if you will, where I took a deep breath while the sun was setting and I really realized where I was, what I was doing, and the blessing that it was to be on this awesome vacation. 

After our very first full day on Oahu, we started bright and early the next morning to go to Pearl Harbor. This was a must-see for every single one of us, and maybe one of things I talk about the most in regards to the trip. History lover or not (we both happen to be), this place was moving, inspiring, humbling, and beautiful in the most reverent of ways. The emotion that the memorial has created, whether it be through the timeline walk along the bay, or the video testimonials, or the sunken Arizona itself, really drove home a value and a deep gratefulness for our nations armed forces. I (vaguely) remember learning about all these details in school, and honestly, I do feel like I appreciated re-learning it as an adult even more. 

















We spent hours. Literally hours milling around the different display buildings, the walk along the bay, viewing the USS Bowfin (which is actually a sub, pictured above), and Pete and Adam toured the USS Missouri battleship. On the deck of which the surrender of WWII was signed (pictured below). And fun fact: Adam's Grandpa was present for the signing. And Adam got to stand right. there. Still gives me goosebumps. 


*Photo courtesy of Adam Sexton*





Pearl Harbor closed off our time on Oahu. That evening we caught our plane over to Kauai, but this memorial stuck with me throughout the day. It was very moving and if you ever find yourself in Hawaii, it is a must see. Brings thankfulness for our country and our freedom to a new level.



No comments:

Post a Comment