Friday, March 18, 2011

Family time in Phoenix

This was a trip of so many blessings and emotions. It was wonderful to join all of Jared's family to remember Grandpa Jack and just spend time together. There were tears, many laughs, and wonderful times spent just sitting on the sun filled patio at Grandma's. And oh, that sun. We were never without blue skies and glorious 80 degree weather! The colors were so different than all the gray-blues we have been experiencing in MN. It was kind of weird "skipping" spring! But I have to say, the colors wowed both of us every single day we were there!! So I blame all the pictuers for the length of this post. (That's my disclaimer). :)



I loved the grapefruit tree in Grandma's front yard! She sent Jared and I a crate a few weeks ago of 18 wonderful, fresh, homegrown grapefruit, and it was like Christmas morning! We are both grapefruit fanatics. And all the time we spent sitting on the patio, I got to enjoy this tree... and the Johnson men in Grandpa's hats. :)




When we weren't on the patio with family, we were probably spending time at our hotel pool. Lori and I enjoyed watching our hubby's act like little boys... and we don't think that will ever stop. Add in some fun cousins and balancing on a pool deck chair, and I guess you get a few hours of solid entertainment?




And when the sun went down, we sqeezed as much family in that hot tub as possible!


One of the things I appreciated most about this trip was getting the chance to meet Chris' side of the family. I had only met her older brother and his family, so meeting her younger brother and older sister as well as spending some time with them was special. Even though the reason for our trip brought sadness at times, there was joy when we all remembered Grandpa together. The memorial was a blessing. Many friends and family shared of the joy that Jack brought with him everywhere he went. His love of food, his laugh, and warmness were highly spoken of. He will be remembered SO highly! The 6 Johnson's, as well as Josh Hollady (cousin) were priviliged to sing at the service. I'll be getting a video of it up here as soon as Jared has time to help me. It was a special memory...





One thing I learned about Grandpa that I didn't know before, was that he was a master working with metal and jewlery! As we were all looking through his designs and handiwork, his talent was obvious! And he stamped all of his work with a branding, which was pretty cool. Grandma gave all the men one of his things, so it will be something they hold onto!


Another fun memory I took away was the time we spent outdoors. Seems shallow, I know, but honestly, I had never been to Arizona before, and I was just enthralled with all the cactus'! And they were huge!! Greg, Lori, Jared and I took a nice tourist stroll one afternoon, and the following day, Jared and I set out for a long trek! It was a blast! Oh yah... and I got my first experience with Chick-Fil-A!!


And by the way... I thought it was awesome...




Our trip actually ended with Jared, Greg and I taking the red-eye flight home. Lori had flown stand-by so she got on an earlier flight. (Lucky). The three of us obviously had a lot of time to kill before our 12:45am departure, so we played a long game of 500 with Grandma, and went mini golfing!



For a trip that did bring its share of emotions, it brought many blessings too. I am so thankful for my family. I'm thankful I got the joy of being around Grandpa Jack, and experiencing all the love he had to give. I'm thankful for Dave and Chris, and the awesome, awesome family I married into. I'm thankful that I love hanging out/goofing around with my brother and sister in law; and that they love it as well. :)

I'm thankful for sun (and the "occasional" sunburn), not having to fly red-eyes regularly, flip flops, patio swings, the promise of eternal life... and I'm thankful that God created seasons; both environmental and in life. Because when (either) of them change, you really find things to be thankful for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment